The SGS Library is home to a collection of approximately 30,000 printed books, periodicals, maps and prints ranging in date from the 15th century to the present day. The collection is made up of the Society’s original antiquarian and scientific library, the theological and historical books that make up the Parish Library of St Mary and St Nicholas, and a literary collection for Spalding Grammar School.
The library has extensive holdings in archaeology, numismatics, history, genealogy, heraldry, theology, medicine, botany and zoology, as well as the region’s premier collection of works relating to South Lincolnshire and the Fens.
Highlights of the collection include:
– The Society’s eighteenth-century antiquarian and scientific library of more than 1000 books and pamphlets – The seventeenth- and eighteenth-century parish library of St Mary and St Nicholas
– The genealogical and heraldic library of Everard Green (1844-1926), Rouge Dragon and Somerset Herald – The art library, drawings and paintings of George W. Bailey (1880-1955)
The library is open on Mondays from 9am to 4pm, and at other times by appointment. We operate extended opening hours during the summer months and during English academic holidays to accommodate academic researchers and international visitors, on an appointment basis.
Anyone wishing to consult library materials should bring a completed New Reader Registration form, photo ID and proof of address.
Dr Dustin M. Frazier Wood, Honorary Librarian
Ms Marion Brassington, Deputy Librarian